POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : BUG: failed to save file : Re: failed to save file Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:11:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: failed to save file
From: Peter Svendsen
Date: 22 Jul 2004 11:38:17
Message: <40ffdf69$1@news.povray.org>
> does the .bak file already exist, and if so, is it either read-only or
otherwise
> locked ?

Yes, there was already a .bak file when I got the problems mentioned before.
I have tried removing the .bak file and reproducing the problem once again,
but I'm still not allowed to save the file, nor can POV create a new .bak
file (unless I haven't aborted parsing). The .bak file is not write
protected.

However, while POV cannot rename the file to .bak, I can edit the existing
.bak file from POV and save it.

Exiting POV seems to be the only way to get around the problem; closing the
.pov file after an aborted parse and re-opening it, I still can't save
changes to the file.

>what happens if you manually delete it ?

I can delete, move etc. the .bak file from Windows Explorer without
problems. However, I am not allowed to move or delete the .pov file until I
exit POV, as Windows claims it's in use, even though I've pressed 'Close'
with the file in POV. I suspect the problem may be an issue of closing the
.pov file when aborting the parse.

- Peter