POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povray 3.6 make error : Re: povray 3.6 make error Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 3.6 make error
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 22 Jul 2004 07:53:48
Message: <40ffaacc$1@news.povray.org>
> However, the prepackaged binary is statically linked:
>
> $ file /usr/local/bin/povray
> /usr/local/bin/povray: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
> (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.0, statically linked, stripped
>
> seems like it would only use the bundled libraries here, neh?

	BTW, having a fully-static binary for the official PC-Linux release
is the only way to go.  We cannot afford tons of "bug" reports from people
unable to run a binary that requires shared libraries they don't necessarily
have on their system.  The advantage of a fully-static binary is much higher
than the potential situation you describe (which can be resolved by installing
instead the POV-Ray source package and the updated 3rd-party libraries).

	- NC