POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fog and media (once again...) : Re: Fog and media (once again...) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fog and media (once again...)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Jul 2004 03:11:17
Message: <40ff6895@news.povray.org>
"arbitrary77" <arb### [at] gmxnet> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> I have a scene with fog, and a hollow transparent container object
> containing a media. But strangely enough, the otherwise completely
> invisible container object is still casting a shadow, and it only happens
> when there is fog. I added a small test scene which shows the problem.

IMHO it has to do with the fog. As far as I remember (version 3.1) there
always was a problem with fog used in combination with a texture showing
transparant parts (alpha channel or otherwise). With fog, the transparant
parts (container or whatever) become visible under certain light conditions
(agains a bright sky for instance) and I never was able to find a
workaround. Indeed, with media, fog behaves oddly too.
The only recommendation I could give: don't use fog if you want to use
media.

Thomas