POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : BUG: failed to save file : Re: failed to save file Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: failed to save file
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Jul 2004 17:48:54
Message: <40fee4c6@news.povray.org>
In article <40fec516$1@news.povray.org> , "Jeremy M. Praay"
<jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote:

>> I tried the "Tierra (LOTW)" scene posted in p.b.s-f a few weeks ago and
> used
>> it with 30000 trees and let it parse to 50 million tokens, then used the
>> keybord to stop the render and instantly after that save the modified
> scene
>> file (in which I had inserted a space).  The files was saved as expected.
>> The system was a P4 3GHz with 1 GB of memory running Win XP Pro (used over
>> remote desktop) with all available Win patches installed.
>
> I generally use the "Stop Sign" button, if that's at all relevant.
>
> When you say you stopped "the render", do you actually mean "the parse"?

Well, yes, the parse, of course :-)

> Again, as others have mentioned this does not appear to happen every time.
> You could try your test at various intervals during the parse, and after
> perhaps 10 or 20 times, see if it eventually causes the problem.

I tried several times, and other scenes as well.  It was suggested to
reproduce it, stopping a "long" parse would be required.  So I only stated
the longest I tried.

>> Well, I think you have been told numerous times that this is not the case.
>
> This problem was first mentioned on June 16th.

There was nothing specific in any of the reports so far allowing to
reproduce the problem.  As stated in the faq group, we only can say
something about confirmed bugs.  If we were to take every bug report
serious, especially but not limited to Windows, we would soon be fixing the
systems of everybody around, randing from removing viruses to replacing
defective RAM.  Thus, a single unconfirmed report that cannot be rpeproduced
is exactly as if the problem was never reported.

>> And given that there is no flood of reports in these groups despite
>> thousands of download, it should be fairly clear that this only happens on
>> some systems...
>
> This may be an underestimate.  The fact that a few regular posters to this
> newsgroup have reported this problem likely means that a great deal more
> people are having this problem and are simply not reporting it.

It certainly is not.  There was a several month long public beta test of
POV-Ray, and none of the beta testers reported this particular problem
either.  Yet, many other problems were reported and fixed.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde