POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray 3.6 make error : Re: povray 3.6 make error Server Time
8 Jul 2024 16:34:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 3.6 make error
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Jul 2004 14:12:02
Message: <40feb1f2$1@news.povray.org>
In article <web.40fea468a404e2e2300017f40@news.povray.org> , "Tim F"
<fen### [at] stanfordedu> wrote:

> This raises another question - why not leave the image library dependencies
> external, and just not include them with the release?

Because many people have extremely outdated versions and the start reporting
problems in POV-Ray resulting from them having linked POV-Ray with outdated
obsolete buggy libraries that had been fixed a long time ago.  We only
promise POV-Ray to run with the supplied image library versions (or newer if
you compile POV-Ray yourself).  Anything older will likely not work.  Hence
we supply everything needed to build a known to work version of POV-Ray
source code on every platform.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde