POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Too many nested refracting objects. : Re: Too many nested refracting objects. Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Too many nested refracting objects.
From: Alain
Date: 19 Jul 2004 23:28:47
Message: <40fc916f$1@news.povray.org>
Rafal 'Raf256' Maj nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 19/07/2004
16:47... :

>I have problem with "Too many nested refracting objects."
>
>after changine an L-system plant (my underwater plant CSS-3 entry) into an
>media instead off plain pigment{...} solid object.
>

>  Remove bounds........On

It remove some redundant manual boundings, mainly when the auto-bounding
hapens to be tighter. It may increase render time.

>  Split unions.........Off
>
>  (btw - what exacly does this option do, maybe it can help? or increase
>speed of rendering in cost off bigger memory usage for more bounding
>boxes?)

It break up unions to get beter bounding. This leads to faster render
time as it can greatly reduce the number of intersection tests. If you
have 2 or 3 long and narrow perpendicular cylinders in an union, if OFF,
you have to test in the bounds of the whole, almost empty large bounding
box instead of just in 3 narow boxes.

>  Bounding boxes.......On   Bounding threshold: 3
>  Light Buffer.........On
>  Vista Buffer.........On   Draw Vista Buffer....Off
>
>Scene Statistics
>  Finite objects:       217742
>  Infinite objects:          1
>  Light sources:             1
>  Total:                217744
>
>Rendering Error: Too many nested refracting objects.  (<<<<<<<<<<<<)
>
>  Total Time:    0 hours  1 minutes 39 seconds (99 seconds)
>

>How can I get rid of this problem?
>
>Main object, after unrolling recurency is something like
>
>union {
>  union {
>    union { cylinder{} cylinder{} cylinder{} }
>    union { cylinder{} cylinder{} cylinder{} }
>    union { cylinder{} cylinder{} cylinder{} }
>  }
>
>_Each_  cylinder have own texture settings (different colors)
>like :
>
>  pigment { rgbf 1 }
>  interior { media { emission <..,..,..> } }

Are those cylinders coaxials? Like all along the X axis between about
the same coodinates. Do they have an ior value, or do you have an ior
set as a default? Are there many intersecting ones?
Just a gues: try increasing the value for adc_bailout in the
global_settings block.

Alain