POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Newbie Question: a simple polygon in 3D : Re: Newbie Question: a simple polygon in 3D Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie Question: a simple polygon in 3D
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 17 Jul 2004 18:56:13
Message: <40f9ae8d$1@news.povray.org>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

> nomail@nomail wrote:

>> Thanks again for your help Tor.... But the contours of my geometry don't
>> have the same number of points in each slice.
>> More clearly, I cut a mouse into 240 slices to do a phantom for medical
>> applications. I need to re-build the mouse in 3D using the photos of the
>> slices.. The form of organs is not regular. I mean, they have a polygon
>> shape. Take the kidney for example: when I start the cut, it appears
>> small,

>> and so
>> on for the other organs.
>> Another thing, I am looking for solid polygons and NOT for hollow

>> If it is posissible, I just want the method....Many thanks
>

> I think (but I'm not sure) that you can achieve what you want
> with POV-Ray if you put some work into it.
>
> I don't have time to explain more right now, but in the mean
> time you can have a look at this page:
>
> http://staff.aist.go.jp/r-suzuki/e/povray/iso/df_body.htm

I see that Ingo has suggested that you make df3-files from
your photos. I was thinking along the lines too.

For this to work, you need to get the different organs to
stand out visually in the grayscale TGA-images. I.e. they
need to be darker or lighter than their surroundings.
I don't know if this is already the case with your photos.

If not you can try to play around with different color
filtering techniques in a good (preferable scriptable)
image editing program. ("The Gimp" is scriptable IIRC.)

It is also necessary to establish a common reference grid
for the object slices in your images.

Another solution could be to get a MRI (or CT) scan of a
mouse and then convert the data into a df3 file for
rendering with POV-Ray.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.net