POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hello, : Re: Hello, Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:11:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hello,
From: Lance Birch
Date: 15 Jul 2004 23:00:00
Message: <40f744b0@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy M. Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote in message
> "Wijnand Nijs" <w.j### [at] alf4alldemonnl> wrote in message
>
> > The problem is that I don't have 3d studio max, so I can't export it to
> > .obj or .3ds
>
> I think you're saying that your mesh is currently in .max format.  If
that's
> correct, I haven't come across any utilities that can convert it to any
> POV-convertable formats, and I've looked at several conversion utitlities.
> That's unfortunate, because there seem to be a lot of .max files at
3dcafe.

> If someone can prove me wrong, I'd be happy as well.

Yes, that's correct.  The MAX format is a very complex format that stores a
lot more than just the geometry of the scene (such as environment plugin
settings, animation controllers, and the geometry usually has a bunch of
modifiers stacked on top of it that must be run in order to gain the
real/final geometry).  Even if the file format specifications were
available, it would be highly unlikely that a converter could be written
that was useful, as it would need to have access to all of the modifiers and
plugins that the scene used (geometry, spacewarp, particle, helper,
environment, material, map, and the list goes on - it would have to be able
to directly work with all of the plugin .dlo, .dli, .dle, .dlr, .dlm, .dlt
and .dlc link libraries, even for default object types).

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au
thehandle - www.thehandle.com