POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bad antialiasing? Lower values problem [tiny jpeg] : Re: Bad antialiasing? Lower values problem [tiny jpeg] Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad antialiasing? Lower values problem [tiny jpeg]
From: Ross
Date: 14 Jul 2004 15:41:43
Message: <40f58c77$1@news.povray.org>
"Hughes, B." <bob### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> In the image you'll see a glassy blob object with a gray background plane.
> tried sky_sphere and background {}, with similar results, if the AA
> threshold is 0.1 or lower. AA values typed onto the two examples. Once the
> AA value is high enough the blocky artifact will disappear. Apparently
gamma
> related somehow.
>
> Curiously, I hadn't noticed such a thing happen before. At first I thought
> it was my LCD screen, working at no more than 18-bit color, or maybe the
> video driver. Anyone else want to try confirming this as a possible
problem?

> Bob H.

i just noticed the effect monday i think. though i didn't notice that
assumed_gamma was part to of it. also, i've only noticed that it happens
with +AM1 and not +AM2. there seemed to be a definate range of +A0.0x
settings that it occured in, and the size of the artifacts changed based on
the value for +A. i can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but it
was something like +A0.3 to +A0.0000897 or something crazy.

i was also using a sky_sphere. this was on the official 3.6 linux binary
version of pov.

-ross