POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Adding Quotations : Re: Adding Quotations Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adding Quotations
From: Ross
Date: 14 Jul 2004 12:17:29
Message: <40f55c99$1@news.povray.org>
"Nicolas Bouillon" <bou### [at] bouilorginvalide> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm new user to povray and i'm looking for a free CAD system. Povray can
> satisfy my needs (with kpovmodeler) but i need to make quotations [1] on
> the front, side and top view. Evidently, the quotations have to be
> automaticaly updated when the objets it mesure are edited...
>
> Can we do that with Povray ? If not, did you know any other open source
> tools that can do that in 3D ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1] Example of quotation (view it with monospaced font) :
>
> |<----- 10 cm ----->|
> |                   |
> |                   |___
>   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   ^
>   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   |
>   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   5 cm
>   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   |
>   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX___v

assuming you want this stuff in the rendered image (as opposed to in the
modeling program)

you can do it in the povray scene description language (SDL) using cylinders
or cones for your lines and arrows, and then a font object. you would have
to have variables that are set relative to the object size, such that when
the object is changed, the cylinders become shorter or longer. i'm not
familiar with using fonts in povray at all, so i don't know if you can use
the value of a variable as the font string to output. i imagine you can. but
i don't want to speculate as to how.

so if you have a box where the x coordinates may change:

#local xMax = 2;
#local xMin = -1;
box { <xMax, 1, 1>, <xMin, 0 -1> pigment {rgb 1}}

//then you can place a cylinder comming out in the y direction to mark the
end like:
cylinder {
<xMax, 1, 0>,
<xMax, 2, 0>, 0.025
pigment {rgb <1, 0, 0>}
}

//midpoint of 2 points
#local xMid = (xMin + xMax)/2;

cylinder {
<xMax, 2, 0>,
<xMid, 2, 0>, 0.025
pigment {rgb <1, 1, 0>}
}

just a quick test. hopefully this is some help... it can be made to look
nicer with cones i think. this method however might make you step away from
the WYSIWYG style of kpovmodeler.