POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : standard of entry : Re: standard of entry Server Time
3 May 2024 01:34:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: standard of entry
From: St
Date: 11 Jul 2004 16:39:11
Message: <40f1a56f@news.povray.org>
"Vladimir" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.40f04f69c31926d1de2762960@news.povray.org...
> Iv not quite mastered the message posting system so this is meant to
be in
> reply to the post about dropping standards.

     Hi Peter, trust me, standards haven't generally dropped, this was
a fairly hard round to respond to in any raytracing terms, and as you
can see, a school class entered, and to me, that's very important, but
still hard for them - I think it's good that they entered, but I hope
a few will follow through with PoV...

> This is my first entry to the irtc ("hall of the mountain king" if
you want
> to see it) and I have to say that while I was voting I noticed that
manyof
> my scores were below 10.

  *Where* did you see your scores??

most of theses were using bryce as the renderer.
> POV is free and in many cases produces better results so why not use
it.

    Bryce may have been obtained through the schools 'students'
program if they have one. Yes, they could have obtained PoV, but PoV
is a little harder to learn in the time sequence for a competition
entry... BUt, that's not to say Bryce isn't hard to learn anyway...
<shrugs>

> The people who said that there image had not been finished also
annoyed me
> as I put a lot of time and work into my entry and here were people
who had
> simply thrown a picture together. There are some great pictures in
there
> but they are buried beneath a lot of rubbish. hopefully people will
not be
> put off by this or the standard will keep dropping.

     Well, I think it depends on the subject, but people won't be put
off. The IRTC over the years will get SO much better.

     Stick around and see what happens...  ;)

      ~Steve~