POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : [beta] source distribution of POV-Ray 3.6 for UNIX : Re: [beta] source distribution of POV-Ray 3.6 for UNIX Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:32:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [beta] source distribution of POV-Ray 3.6 for UNIX
From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 3 Jul 2004 06:50:31
Message: <40e68f76@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:

> A beta version of the source distribution of POV-Ray 3.6 for UNIX is
> now available for download.

Great!

Just compiled it on a SuSE P4 with builddir!=sourcedir and
--without-svga. Everything went fine.

Then, I downloaded the sources without the bundeled libraries (well, I
do not want to discuss this one here, sigh) to my home box.

Running configure had some trouble: It detected pentiumpro optimization
for my AthlonXP. This is because $host=i686 and "uname -p" yields an error
because uname (at least on my debian system) does not know the option -p.

One could do something like:
  if test -f /proc/cpuinfo ; then
    case "$(fgrep "model name" /proc/cpuinfo | head -1)" in
      *Athlon*XP*)  etc ... ;;
      ...)
    esac
  fi

(The fgrep string will be
"model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP processor 1700+"
in my case; especially note the "head -1" which is needed for SMP/HT
systems.)

I'd suggest to use the /proc/cpuinfo primarily if we're not cross-compiling
and /proc/cpuinfo is available. It gives easiest access to the supported
extensions, too:
bash# fgrep flags /proc/cpuinfo
flags           : fpu vme de tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
Especially note "sse".

Here is a list of accessible hardware:

--P4:--
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid
--AthlonXP:--
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP processor 1700+
flags           : fpu vme de tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
--P3:--
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
--P1:--
model name      : Pentium 75 - 200
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
-----------

So, for now, I reverted to using --disable-optimiz and passing my own CFLAGS
and CXXFLAGS which worked as expected.

However, I did not test the installation routines since I am always using
POVRay directly from the build directory.

Great compliment to the HTML documentation. Especially the links make it
much better to navigate and the index for searching will eliminate the
need for "grep xyz -r doc/" in many cases.

So, this was my feedback on _compiling_ the sources. I'll post something
about the sources itself in p.programming shortly.

Wolfgang