POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts : Re: "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:12:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Best" licences for POV-Ray models and scripts
From: Ross
Date: 1 Jul 2004 12:07:10
Message: <40e436ae@news.povray.org>
"ingo" <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote in message
> in news:40e40825@news.povray.org Gilles Tran wrote:
>
> > what people think, for instance, of GPL
> > (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html),
>
> I don't like it at all. The anarchist in mee sees it as "fighting back"
> with the same wapons, the anarchist in me doesn't like fighting at all,
> the anarchist in me is quite strong.
>
> > Creative Commons
> > (http://creativecommons.org/) or other similar systems in the
> > particular context of POV-Ray models and scripts.
>
> The site only loads half for some reason. I think Greg mentioned it
> once, I had a look then and it all seemed complicated then, but I don't
> remeber exactly.
>
> As a user of models, I'd prefer something Public Domain, BSD or MIT
> like. As a supplier of models / includes etc. I prefer Public Domain.
>
> Ingo

you wouldn't mind if some model you created was picked up by some animation
house and used in a movie for their financial gain without giving any credit
to you at all? that's not a bad thing, it's just a decision i would want to
make consciously instead of just stamping Public Domain on everything i do.
i don't know the complete details of releasing something as Public Domain in
regards to giving credit to the person who created it.

i don't understand your stance on the GPL, well you didn't really describe
your stance. you just said you don't like it. what makes it so apalling to
you? it doesn't put any burden on the developer really, it just extends the
users rights (and burdens them with the responsibility of providing source
to those they redistribute the binary to, *if* they chose to redistribute
changes) if i understand the premise correctly.