POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 320x240 No AA: Render 10% complete at 1d 06h 02m - Aagh! : Re: 320x240 No AA: Render 10% complete at 1d 06h 02m - Aagh! Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 320x240 No AA: Render 10% complete at 1d 06h 02m - Aagh!
From: Brian Elliott
Date: 1 Jul 2004 08:50:29
Message: <40e40895@news.povray.org>
Update:

In the end, I *had to* stop the render -- shortly after my last message,
while typing a message on another news.povray.org thread, all keyboard
control stopped.  Type away; every key went "blip, blip, blip", nothing on
screen, nothing from the three-fingered salute.  At least Windows was still
controllable by the mouse, but it still meant I had to stop the render and
SHUTDOWN.

Which was a blessing.  Necessity re-taught me something I had forgotten
about PoV-Ray in the years since I had stopped:  I rediscovered in the docs
the Resume option and Mosaic Preview!  Actually I think I hadn't used Mosaic
since the days of 25MHz 386'es and software-floating-point in C libraries!

SO...  With the render stopped, I set recursion_limit back to 1 [from 2],
and minimum_reuse to 0.01 [from 0.005], and resumed.  It is now blistering

of magnitude faster than before, and I can live with that.  :-)

Brian