POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 320x240 No AA: Render 10% complete at 1d 06h 02m - Aagh! : Re: 320x240 No AA: Render 10% complete at 1d 06h 02m - Aagh! Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 320x240 No AA: Render 10% complete at 1d 06h 02m - Aagh!
From: Brian Elliott
Date: 28 Jun 2004 19:37:42
Message: <40e0abc6$1@news.povray.org>
"Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> "Brian Elliott" <bel### [at] gilcomau> wrote:
> > Do you know of a way to "soften" a pigment function as used in an
> > isosurface, that may reduce that gradient?  This one has a turbulent
> > function like an agate in it.
>
> I have also experimented with isosurfaces for terrain, and the conclusion
> came up with is that, where possible, you should first render a height
> field of the object as that will run many times faster.  The downside is,
> you won't have bumps sticking out horizontally (only vertically).  Still,
> if you could find some way to first tesselate the object, you would save
> yourself several days' worth of rendering time.

Thanks.

I had briefly looked into Ingo's mesh making macros - I thought maybe
param.inc might be of use.  But I was confused by the need to pass three
functions to it, whereas all I have is a single pigment function in the
isosurface.

If I could use heightfield or mesh to render the more distant parts - it
would be a close-enough simulation.  Closer to the camera, it would need a
fairly tight mesh resolution, I expect.  Locations right near to camere
perspective , I'd probably have to retain as isosurface for realism.

Brian