POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ver. 3.6 speed : Re: Ver. 3.6 speed Server Time
3 Aug 2024 06:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ver. 3.6 speed
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 26 Jun 2004 12:07:26
Message: <40dd9f3e@news.povray.org>
In article <40dd82f9$1@news.povray.org> , "Groucho" <gro### [at] tripodcom>
wrote:

> Thanks. I'm always very grateful to the developers.
>
> ...But reality is pigheaded: Why I always get faster results with version
> 3.5 with antialiasing threshold above 0.3 and faster results with version
> 3.6 with antialiasing threshold below 0.3?

The threshold value has nothing to do with this, it just happens to be more
noticeable (remember, there are other changes) for low thresholds.  There
were a few bugs (like the one with adc_bailout) as well as some sampling
oddities that have been corrected.  Effectively a different number of
samples gets taken now, which results in "better" quality more quickly when
taking more samples (note the quotes, "better" is not at all the right word
as we corrected bugs that result in the "better", which should really be
called "expected").

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde