POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : scene-specific-include-file builder (SSIF) : scene-specific-include-file builder (SSIF) Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:37:19 EDT (-0400)
  scene-specific-include-file builder (SSIF)
From: SomeOne
Date: 20 Jun 2004 12:57:32
Message: <40d5c1fc$1@news.povray.org>
Many, many years I used a set of applications called BSpice and its Front-End
Nutmeg. One of the "problems of BSpice was its reliance on (sometimes) huge
include-files from which you only needed one or two declares. Because of the
size of these include-files, calculating/compiling even a simple circuit would
take enormous CPU bandwidth and hence long processing times.

Then, in stepped a small application called Cinnamon. This app would scan the
circuit file for any objects that were not declared locally. Then Cinnamon
would scan all the include-files that it could find. All declares of objects
used in the circuit-file were then copied into a dedicated include-file. Next,
you would only need to include that particular include-file and it would
contain only objects needed for the circuit.

Each declare was put in the file with a comment stating it's
source-include-file and the comments from the start of the include-file
(usually copyright messages)
Declares by the same name where all added. It would be up to the user to edit
the include-file to remove doubles.

After a long introduction, here's my question.
I recognise the same "problem" with POV-Ray that we encountered with
BSpice/Nutmeg. It seems no more than logical that someone already developed a
small program (a la Cinnamon) that would generate a scene-specific include-file
resulting in faster processing of the scene and perhaps also faster rendering.

1. Does such an application exist? If yes, where can I find it?
2. Is it possible to include such functionality in POV-Ray?

--
SomeOne