POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : image_map stretched on objects : Re: image_map stretched on objects Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:25:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_map stretched on objects
From: Alain
Date: 15 Jun 2004 17:52:38
Message: <40cf6fa6$1@news.povray.org>
Summit Group nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 15/06/2004 15:32... :

>I've been trying to apply a fabric image map to a couch that I've been
>working on. I created the model in 3D Studio, and I used accutrans3d to
>convert it to POV-Ray. From there I added the image map like this:
>
>  texture {
>    pigment {
>      image_map {jpeg "07-2312-482.jpg" map_type 0}
>    }
>    finish { ambient rgb<0.466667, 0.541176, 0.678431> diffuse 0.5 }
>  }
>
>and this is the result:
>
>http://avis.summit-tech.ca/render/povforum.png
>
>Notice how the image map gets streched as though it was applied head on. The

Because it is. Use UV maping to make it follow the surface of the object.

>other problem was finding a way (from povray) to set the sizing of the tile
>when it gets applied. Right now I'm forced to resize the object (at the
>time of export) in order to obtain the image tile size that I want.

You can scale the image to your object: image_map {jpeg
"07-2312-482.jpg" map_type 0 scale<5,5,1>}

>Any help with either of these two issues would be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ron.

Think of any texture as an infinite solid out of whitch you carve out
whatever object you apply it to. In the case of an image_map, each image
pixel stretch out infinitely along the z axis.

Alain