POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compile for given CPU : Re: Compile for given CPU Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:14:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compile for given CPU
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 15 Jun 2004 14:01:37
Message: <40cf3981@news.povray.org>
>> maybe more.

        I was told recently that using profiling-guided optimization could
also somewhat increase performance on Athlon's.  To do so, you have to
compile an intermediate binary using "-fprofile-arcs", then run a
(representative) set of povray scenes, and recompile again this time
with "-fbranch-probabilities" instead of the option above.
        Personnaly I had some oddities doing so with gcc-3.4.0 on the
current POV-Ray 3.6 sources, and the speedup was also negligible.

        - NC

PS: you'd better not use "-ffast-math" which might be a problem with
e.g. radiosity (untested though).