POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Benchmark comparison - 3.6 vs. 3.5 : Re: Benchmark comparison - 3.6 vs. 3.5 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Benchmark comparison - 3.6 vs. 3.5
From: Brian Elliott
Date: 15 Jun 2004 08:16:21
Message: <40cee895@news.povray.org>
news:40ced0cf@news.povray.org...
> Brian Elliott <bel### [at] gilcomau> wrote:
> > So that's a saving of four minutes or about 14% improvement compared to
Ver
> > 3.5.
>
>   If I'm not completely mistaken, this is due to the optimizations made
> to the photons code.
>
>   In a scene not using photons there shouldn't be such a difference.
>
> --
> plane{-x+y,-1pigment{bozo color_map{[0rgb x][1rgb x+y]}turbulence 1}}
> sphere{0,2pigment{rgbt 1}interior{media{emission 1density{spherical
> density_map{[0rgb 0][.5rgb<1,.5>][1rgb 1]}turbulence.9}}}scale
> <1,1,3>hollow}text{ttf"timrom""Warp".1,0translate<-1,-.1,2>}//  - Warp -

I did know the photon code is improved.  I could also read the release notes
for more overall information (which I haven't done yet).  I had simply
assumed that the photon code improvements would only manifest in the photon
calculation stage, but that only accounts for nine seconds difference in the
two runs, not the whole four minutes.  But then I conveniently forgot:  the
engine also has to read the photon map during rendering, perhaps that was
improved as well.

I'll compare a couple of scenes without photons, just to see for myself if
there are any performance differences beyond that.  This is all probably
splitting hairs anyway. But I was curious and then surprised because I
expected to find negligible change -- but 14% is significant.

Brian