POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Remastering KNOPPIX to include POV-Ray : Re: Remastering KNOPPIX to include POV-Ray Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Remastering KNOPPIX to include POV-Ray
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 14 Jun 2004 08:52:19
Message: <40cd9f83$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter wrote:

> The tools I cannot live without when POVing in the Windows environment:
>
> Wings 3d or similar free mesh modeller

I have already managed to make this one work.

> Uvmapper or similar freetool ( Wings does have UV mapping support which
> I could live with reluctantly.)

Uvmapper seems to be a commercial product for Windows.

Any other alternatives ?

> Poseray.  Could get by with any free .obj2mesh2 converter but Poseray is
> preferred.

It seems that Poseray is only available for windows.

So I need suggestions for free/open ".obj2mesh2"-
converters.

> Image editor.  Gimp would be just fine I'm guessing.

The Gimp is great. The menu layouts has been much
improved in v2.0.

> Text editor. Prefer something at least as feature rich as what's
> integrated in the Window's version of POV-Ray.

Emacs has more features and possibilities than most
people want. And many people find it hard to learn.

But most of those who do will not leave Emacs once
they have seen the light.

> Nice to have:
>
> Megapov
>
> MLpov

I guess that it will be possible to have both of these.

Tor Olav