POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : iso surface for Fresnel mirror? : Re: iso surface for Fresnel mirror? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iso surface for Fresnel mirror?
From: Daniel Matthews
Date: 13 Jun 2004 20:22:13
Message: <40ccefb5@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> In article <40caea20@news.povray.org>, Daniel Matthews <dan### [at] 3-enet>
> wrote:
>
>> My reading so far indicates that a zone plate pattern of two refraction
>> values will act as a lens, and will work in POV.
>> If such a flat lens is in contact with a mirror is should focus ans
>> reflect?
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but it sounds like you're
> trying to simulate a diffraction effect. POV-Ray does not simulate
> diffraction. Making a len from a pattern of two indices of refraction on
> a flat surface is not possible in POV.

I was talking about two things.
One is a iso surface function that perturbs an object's normals such that
it's surface has waves and that the front face of those waves (the normal)
points at the mid point between the angles formed by the object, a light
source and a target. i.e. a fresnel mirror. This we know does work.
The back face needs to be parallel to the ray from the light source. (I
think)

The second idea was just speculation on a related method of lens forming.

I think I will go and play with Mathematica and OSLO.....
:)