POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : some questions on radiosity technique : Re: some questions on radiosity technique Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some questions on radiosity technique
From: Bill Hails
Date: 12 Jun 2004 03:16:57
Message: <40caade9@news.povray.org>
Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:

>> I have some questions about the radiosity save_file and
>> load_file, hope someone can help.
>
> Hi Bill!

Hi Tim.

> What you want to do is the following: use pretrace_start 1 and
> pretrace_end 1 on the second pass where you load the data. There is no
> need for pretracing when you're loading the data.

Good tip, but are you saying that I must use "always_sample on" for the
second render? I was hoping to avoid that if possible.

> So, yes, the data gets used. always_sample on would introduce new samples
> in the final render whenever POV-Ray's statistics (or whatever method it
> uses) determine that an extra sample is needed. Especially for animations
> this can add noise to the scene.
>
> AFAIK, Antialiasing will only be used on the final render, not during the
> pretracing, and as you should be using always_sample off, there shouldn't
> be a need to use antialiasing on the first pass.

Ah, but if I'm using "always_sample on" in the first pass, will that
interact with antialiasing at all when generating the radiosity
save file? and does it matter?

> <shameless plug>
> You might also want to have a look at my Radiosity-Experiment to be found
> here:
> http://www.nolights.de/past_pros/radiosity/radiosity.html
> It not only covers what you've asked, but goes further and uses a method
> that has been developed here in the newsgroups: smoothening the
> radiosity-data on the second pass. It can reduce artifacts, but also loses
> detail. As far as I'm concerned, less artifacts is better.

I'm bookmarking that page right now, and will read it avidly, thanks
for the pointers.

--
Bill Hails
http://thyme.homelinux.net/