POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Remastering KNOPPIX to include POV-Ray : Re: Remastering KNOPPIX to include POV-Ray Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Remastering KNOPPIX to include POV-Ray
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 11 Jun 2004 22:24:31
Message: <40ca695f@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
>

>> Hi all.
>>
>> The last two days I have been remastering Knoppix v3.4
>> (2004-05-17 BETA) in order to put on it POV-Ray for
>> Linux and some other POV-Ray related linux tools.
>>
>> More info about Knoppix can be found here:
>> http://knoppix.net/
>>
>> So far I have succeeded in producing a Knoppix CD that
>> contains POV-Ray v3.6 and Blender v2.32.
>>
>> Both these applications seems to works ok so far.
>>
>> On this page I see some more unix-tools listed:
>> http://www.povray.org/download/unix-tools.php
>

> QTPov and Emacs pov-mode would certainly be useful (assuming
> Emacs/XEmacs are in Knoppix by default).

I haven't tried that one yet.

I'm struggling a bit with QT and KPovModeler.
( ./configure doesn't seem to like/recognize the
installed QT version on Knoppix v3.4.)

Hopefully the installation of QTPov will go smoother.

>> - Will there be any legal problems related to the
>>   distribution of it ?
>

> Probably not, the new distribution license has a special point about
> Linux distributions which will cover this as well.

Ok.

>> - If not, how could/should it be distributed ?
>

> Availability on the net will probably be a good idea although a lot of
> people will not like the download volume.  It could be sold like the
> IRTC CD-ROMs for supporting POV-Ray (although there would be less
> motivation to buy it because it will be available for free as well).

My ISP doesn't allow me to set up any servers for
incoming traffic, so maybe I'll have to share it via
bittorrent or something similar.

>> - Does anyone have suggestions for other resources
>>   to put on it ?
>

> It would be very good to also include some common include files (you
> would have to obtain consent from the authors for this of course).

Good idea.

> Furthermore:
>
> - a newsreader preconfigured for news.povray.org

Yes - But I have beeen wondering if a preconfigured
username and email address would cause any troubles for
these news-groups.

> - IMP and POV-Anywhere clients preconfigured (the latter will require a
> correctly configured MTA for using the email mode so this might be tricky)

I haven't configured any MTA's yet so maybe I'll need
help to do this.

I once started reading the sendmail manual, but it scared
me away =(

> - screensaver configured to show a slideshow of POV-Ray renders.

Yes. Does anyone know about any good such screensavers ?

Thank you for your good suggestions.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com