POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : 3.6 benchmark.pov : 3.6 benchmark.pov Server Time
3 Jul 2024 13:13:16 EDT (-0400)
  3.6 benchmark.pov
From: Ross
Date: 11 Jun 2004 18:07:02
Message: <40ca2d06@news.povray.org>
chalk it up to whatever you want (new compiler?, cleaned code?, ...?) but
the official 3.6 binary shaved 19 minutes off of benchmark.pov using the
benchmark.ini settings, compared to the official 3.5 binary with the same
official benchmark.pov/benchmark.ini. i never benchmarked pov before, so i
thought i'd do it before I installed 3.6.

computer info:
AMD Duron 800MHz running Slackware 9.1
X was running, as was Enlightenment, as would be my normal situation while
using povray.

on my slowish laptop, these were the results (handtyped, forgive any changes
in formatting):

3.6:
Parse Time: 0 hours 0 minutes 4 seconds
Photon Time: 0 hours 1 minutes 54 seconds
Render Time: 1 hours 30 minutes 34 seconds
Total Time: 1 hours 32 minutes 32 seconds

3.5:
Time for Parse: 0 hours 0 minutes 7 seconds
Time for Photon: 0 hours 2 minutes 3 seconds
Time for Trace: 1 hours 49 minutes 34 seconds
Total Time: 1 hours 51 minutes 44 seconds

please refrain from making jokes about my slow computer :) Regardless of
what caused the improvement i'm glad to see it.

-r