POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Distributed render : Re: Distributed render Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Distributed render
From: Steven Pigeon
Date: 10 Jun 2004 14:29:48
Message: <40c8a89c$1@news.povray.org>
I think to minimize computation, tiles would be preferable.
I think of radiosity and photons which are not local at all in
nature: they use large parts of the scene.

For example, having a bunch of render-slaves computers, one
could be master and dispatch tasks as the CPUs become
available: once a CPU is done with is tile, it requests another
region of the picture (without flushing its own data, that'd be
a shame to start from scratch with photons and radiosity.) The
master collects tiles and builds the final picture.

Radiosity is build in a hierarchical way, maybe there would be
some way of exploiting this to speed up things ?

I would much rather see that master/slave thing implemented
in POV than using a script-based dispatcher.

Best,

    S.