POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Re: radiosity nag. : Re: radiosity nag. Server Time
17 May 2024 06:54:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity nag.
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Jun 2004 15:11:49
Message: <40c36c75$1@news.povray.org>
In article <c9vgh2$6vg$1@chho.imagico.de> , Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

> It seems to be the reflection 'exponent sqrt(2)'.

OK, so in conclusion that setting should be changed in fomhorian's scene and
it will work.

> Note i also get
> occasional render freezes (i.e. the render halts and the program can
> only be stopped by multiple CTRL-Cs) in 3.6 when using the fresnel
> reflection.

Sounds like stack overflows.  I will need to take a look at the fresnel
implementation to find out what that happens.

>  Since i never had any problems with fresnel reflection
> before i assume this is something specific to this scene (i.e. the
> mesh).  Lowering max_trace_level strongly or not using radiosity avoids
> this (so maybe the ray recursion handling of radiosity in combination
> with reflection does not work properly although i have rendered a lot of
> scenes with radiosity + reflection without problems).

OK, if you find some time, take a look.  Otherwsie, we won't bother for 3.6.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde