POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Odd problem with hollow sphere and "transmit 1" object inside? : Odd problem with hollow sphere and "transmit 1" object inside? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Odd problem with hollow sphere and "transmit 1" object inside?
From: Ray Bellis
Date: 5 Jun 2004 18:23:17
Message: <40c247d5$1@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to create a scene that'll eventually comprise a hollow (glass)
globe, with an emissive media inside it.

The file below is my minimal test to show the problem I can't solve - I've
created the hollow glass sphere, and inside that I've placed another sphere
with "transmit 1" which will eventually contain the media.  This is based on
the media example in the 3.6rc1 help files, and yes, I do know I'll need to
make both the spheres "hollow" to get the media working when I get that far.

Strangely, the interior sphere which is supposed to be completely invisible
shows up, but only when it's inside the hollow sphere.  If the hollow sphere
is removed from the scene then the inner sphere remains correctly invisible.

Am I just missing something stupid, or is what I'm trying to do impossible?

[NB: new to POVray, have messed around with ray tracers for many years]

cheers,

Ray

--8<--8<-- cut here --8<--8<--
#include "colors.inc"
#include "glass.inc"

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 1.0
}

camera {
  location  <0.0, 0.5, -4.0>
  look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
}

light_source {
  <0, 0, 0>
  color rgb 1
  translate <-30, 30, -30>
}

sky_sphere {
  pigment { color rgb <0.7,0.7,1.0> }
}

plane {
  y, -1.001
  pigment { checker Red White rotate y*60 scale 2 }
}

/* a hollow glass sphere */
difference {
  sphere { 0.0, 1 }