POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : uv_mapping example for lathe : Re: uv_mapping example for lathe Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: uv_mapping example for lathe
From: povray
Date: 1 Jun 2004 13:41:30
Message: <40bca087.4994586@localhost>
On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:22:21 EDT, "jsn" <jni### [at] orblmgov> wrote:

>I guess I wasn't very clear earlier about uv mapping with the lathe object.
>I think the documentation is lacking when it comes to examples of how to do
>UV mapping for the lathe and SOR objects.

Docs could be clearer, yes.  Too bad I suck at docs or I'de throw
something together for the pov-team to use.  Just experiment with
an easily-recognizable image and you'll get the hang of it.
To rotate an image around a lathe, translate the image in the
x direction.  The total uv width (and height) of the image is
always 1 (before translation. etc.) so translate in 0.1
increments and re-render to see what is going on.  In the uv-
coordinate space, X and Y are the coordinates you are wanting
to play with. translating or scaling Z will have no effect.

>example, Say I wanted to paste my companies logo on a Lathe coffee cup
>object.

Ok: if you are using UV_mapping just to put a logo on a coffee
cup then you can use an easier way.  If you use a cylindircal
mapping on the image map, life will be easier.  The "map_once"
option plus careful scaling and translation will get that logo
where you want it on the cup.  The only bad side to useing a
cylindrical map is that the logo will also appear on the inside
of the cup.  Careful camera placement is most likely enough
to fix that.  :)

--
to all the companies who wait until a large user base becomes
dependant on their freeware, then shafting said happy campers with