POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : 64-bit Pov-Ray rendering : Re: 64-bit Pov-Ray rendering Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64-bit Pov-Ray rendering
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 Jun 2004 06:25:20
Message: <40bc5990$1@news.povray.org>
"Lutz-Peter Hooge" <lpv### [at] gmxde> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>
> > Some POV-Ray features use pseudo-random numbers.  The sequence of these
> > numbers depends on the order of certain tracing calls.  If there is a
small

> IMO this would result mainly in differences at sharp edges etc.
> The main differences in the shown images are of a different type,
> it is most visible in the bright caustics in the middle ofthe image

http://www.linuxhardware.org/images/articles/opteron-121703/bench-x86-64-full.jpg

http://www.linuxhardware.org/images/articles/opteron-121703/bench-i386-full.jpg

Well, what I said also goes for photons.  Plus, there is no way to rule you
they didn't make some mistakes when running the benchmark.  All I can really
say is that their reasoning that using a 64 bit compile creates "better" is
not based on any facts.  It is certainly possible to make good guesses what
else might be wrong with their compile, but those don't really lead
anywhere, I am afraid.

    Thorsten