POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Internal Error - integer divide by zero exception. : Re: Internal Error - integer divide by zero exception. Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Internal Error - integer divide by zero exception.
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 29 May 2004 13:38:20
Message: <40b8ca8c$1@news.povray.org>
In article <g5chb014t2rts9t67g3ifl8qhh8ke2goao@4ax.com> , Stephen McAvoy
<mca### [at] aolcom>  wrote:

>>Well, you didn't provide a scene or any other kind of reproducible test
>>case.  You did not even state the version of POV-Ray you are using.  And you
>>said you already solved the problem.  Not much left to respond to then :-)
>
> Oh, I don't know about that, Thorsten.
> Someone could have said something along the lines of "PovRay will give
> an integer divide by zero exception when XXX"

Obviously when there is an exception something is wrong with POV-Ray, so
nobody can tell you where because then that would have been fixed if it was
indeed an error in POV-Ray!  However, if you say it went away, it is not all
that unlikely these days (because the structures are tiny, and personal
computers are not designed to be fault tolerant) that some bit in memory
just flipped.  To keep billions of tiny capacitors readable isn't as trivial
as one might think, and it can happen with a certain probability.  Also it
is far less than being struck by lightening, it happens so frequently server
memory modules come with error-correction bits built-in.  No kidding!

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde