POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : right x*image_width/image_height : Re: right x*image_width/image_height Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:13:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: right x*image_width/image_height
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 28 May 2004 11:09:28
Message: <40b75628@news.povray.org>
In article <40b750cb$1@news.povray.org> , "Gilles Tran" <tra### [at] inapginrafr>
wrote:

> However, we still have people puzzling about stretched/squeezed images due
> to the default 1.33.

Well, for a 1024*768 image the difference to a 4:3 aspect ratio is just two
pixels.  I doubt many will ever notice.

> Professional video output is more a real issue (though a niche one
> IMHO) but for this the user could still have the choice of using a
> non-square pixel ratio, as it's the case now.

Not only professional video output: DV is the standard format used for
digital video cameras.  Practically all video editing software supports
exports to DV cameras attached via IEEE 1394 (aka FireWire aka iLink).  And
if you do your own animations on DVDs or just static DVD menu background
images, you also have to deal with non-square pixels.

Oh, and as for inexpensive programs having problems with non-square output,
well, rendering at twice the resolution and then scaling down will be
sufficient regarding quality as far as DCT-based algorithms are concerned
(btw, DCT yields better compression of blurred or anti-aliased images and
video).

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde