POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Preferred UNIX/Linux modeller : Re: Preferred UNIX/Linux modeller Server Time
3 Jul 2024 13:08:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Preferred UNIX/Linux modeller
From: Ross
Date: 26 May 2004 11:13:31
Message: <40b4b41b$1@news.povray.org>
"Stefan Viljoen" <rylan@<deletehis> wrote in message
news:40b38db0@news.povray.org...
> Hi all
>
> It seems most ppl use editors to make PovRay scenes on UNIX/Linux - I am
> still a bit newbie to do it that way, so which modeller for Linux/UNIX do
> you recommend? What do you use?
>
> GIRAM, KPovModeller or ppModeller? Does K3D have any PovRay output? Is
there
> yet another program that your prefer to these?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Stefan Viljoen
> Software Support Technician
> Polar Design Solutions

I've tried blender a little. the interface is not intuitive at first, but
once you remember some of the commands (it's very keyboard-shortcut
oriented) it's not bad at all. however, i've only got a slightly old laptop
at the moment and it doesn't have a decent video card. blender uses openGL
if i remember. In linux is was running and not too sluggish, but a real
video card would help (i have one of those "shared memory" piles of trash
with no 3d exceleration). Blender also wants a three button mouse, and all I
had was the little touch pad. i found an old serial mouse, only two buttons,
but that was an improvement.

I ran through some of the online tutorials for blender. they are a big help.
there is a python script that runs from inside of Blender(but you have to
download it separately) called povAnim i think, that can export pov code.

once i figured out how to split the blender window into the four "standard"
views, it was much easier. i still never did anything complex with it.
however, people have done nice things. it's one of those programs that I
want to learn. having a nice desktop machine with a big monitor would help
for modelling :) my laptop is only good for writting code and raytracing.

-ross