POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Preferred operating system for intensive PovRay use : Re: Preferred operating system for intensive PovRay use Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Preferred operating system for intensive PovRay use
From: Sascha Ledinsky
Date: 25 May 2004 17:17:22
Message: <40b3b7e2$1@news.povray.org>
> It showed a difference between the official Windows and Linux versions
> of about 10% in rendering the benchmark scene.  Note the test was far
> from sophisticated, various things (including beta version related
> issues) could have influenced the result.  Especially note that
> depending on the processor you might get similar speed differences from
> different compiler optimization settings on linux (see recent discussion
> in povray.unix).

Yes, I can confirm that. The official linux binary is on my machine (P4)
about 10% slower than a self compiled one (just plain ./configure;
make...).
I guess this is related to P4 optimizations?
I've got no C compiler under windows, so I can't try if it would speed
up the windows version too, but I've seen  that the offical windows
binary runs a bit faster than the official linux binary...

-sascha