POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Preferred operating system for intensive PovRay use : Re: Preferred operating system for intensive PovRay use Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Preferred operating system for intensive PovRay use
From: marabou
Date: 25 May 2004 15:00:56
Message: <40b397e7@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I was just wondering which operating system(s) you use in concocting
> your traces?
>
> It seems that Windows has nicer programs (Moray for example) for
> designing scenes, but is not so hot on high-demand traces (big
> operating system memory/cpu time footprint - you cannot "switch off"
> the GUI). In comparison, Linux seems to offer more CPU cycles (run
> it in text mode for tracing, kill processes you don't need) and more
> stability (I've seen Linux systems stay up for weeks under a heavy
> PovRay load).
>
> What do you use? It seems to me the best combination is design in
> Windows, final render in Linux. Anybody else do it this way? Do most
> guys who use UNIX/Linux for design and final rendering use an editor
> only to design, or which modelling programs do you prefer on
> UNIX/Linux for PovRay?
>
> I've had frequent problems using PovRay 3.5 under Win98SE and have
> regularly left an overnight trace running only to check in the
> morning and find that Windows had crashed. Are the newer Windows
> operating systems more stable for POV?
>
> Thanks!

new Windows versions are definately more stable. try any NT version.
IMO it makes no sense to install a Linux for rendering only. at the
time as my machines were too slow i did render on a Windows 98SE on a
friends machine. he never had any problems. best results i get
without a modeller with an editor. but this a question of your
predilection. try it for yourself.
i can not believe that rendering results depend on your OS. i have
seen none. someone maybe has other experiences.
for benchmark discussion please take a look under (one line):
http://news.povray.org/povray.unix/thread/<3B122437.35EF8E07
40sycomore.fr>/
and other, too.