POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Configuration Error? : Re: Configuration Error? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 12:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Configuration Error?
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 24 May 2004 09:23:54
Message: <40b1f76a$1@news.povray.org>
> very very slow (optimized for pentium 1) whereas using an optimized
> version can improve performances by 50% !!!

	You mean that the official binary was compiled with no optimization
at all ?  (frankly I never tried it)

> (to do this, you'll need to
> modify the Makefile => ask for it when you'll be ready)

	May I ?
	Ok, go on, I'm ready  ;-)

> There is no matter in compiling povray or something else even if you
> don't know how to do ! remember that you didn't know how to do at the
> begining, but you have learn it ! why wouldn't he be able to learn it too ?

	I simply made a very straightforward assumption: if someone makes
such an obvious mistake (as seen in the initial post), it is very likely
that he/she will have lots of trouble to compile povray at all, given
that the build system in the source of 3.50c is far from being complete
is known to have serious flaws (especially if you try to use it on anything
but a Linux box, which is actually the case here).
	Yet I admit that trying is indeed a good way to learn things, but
it'll most likely take quite some time.  This is not necessarily what Jong
is asking for (just a guess from his posts).

	But I should not make assumptions anyway, that's not a good idea
in general, and when programming in particular  :-)

	- NC