POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: Media & Density files clipping problem : Re: Media & Density files clipping problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:11:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media & Density files clipping problem
From: Eric DeGiuli
Date: 23 May 2004 21:00:49
Message: <40b14941$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks very much, this fixed my problem!  It still confuses me how the
clipping effect could result from insufficient sampling, but oh well..  I
would expect it to simply make the data look more blurry.

Now I can get to my real renderings involving radiosity.  Expect more
questions. :)

Thanks,
Eric

"Tim Nikias v2.0" <#macro timnikias (@) #local = "gmx.net" #end> wrote in
message news:40b123c4$1@news.povray.org...
> > The relavent POV code is below.  Does anything look awry?
> >    media {
> >       intervals 15  //more needed? -> 100
> >       //ratio 0.5
> >       samples 2,6
> >       method 3
>
> Well, there are three methods for media. I don't know anything about
method
> 1, since POV 3.5 I've just been using methods 2 and 3 (mainly method 3).
> With method 2, you want to use an amount of intervals which return
> sufficient results, and have to take care that "samples" uses the same
value
> for min and max, otherwise, the result might look grainy.
> With method 3, you want to use only one interval, but varying values for
min
> and max for "samples". I'd try method 2 for this volume first though.
>
> Now, given the amount of data in your volume, I'd say that you're using
way
> too few intervals. What might happen is that when the ray travels through
> dense region, it might sample before and after the bright region. Since
> those two samples are nearly identical, the adaptive-algorithm assumes
that
> between those two samples no significant changes occur, and hence, the
> bright spot is lost.
>
> Another note regarding your clipping-theory: when colors get clipped in
> POV-Ray, they get clipped to an upper or lower boundary, I've never heard
of
> values getting clipped via some modulo function (e.g. when clipping
between
> 0 and 1, 1.2 would turn out as 0.2).
>
> Regards,
> Tim