POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Caustics on a surface under an object : Re: Caustics on a surface under an object Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Caustics on a surface under an object
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 22 May 2004 16:58:50
Message: <40afbf0a$1@news.povray.org>
> If I want caustics on a surface BELOW a photon target, must the surface
that
> the photon target is on also be a photon target?
>
> I have tried many combinations but simply cannot get caustics on a surface
> "behind" a photon target, even with very small spacings and lots of
photons
> - all my photon caustics stay confined to the glass object. I simply
cannot
> get caustics onto the table "behind" the glass standing on it.

Can you provide small, minimal sample scene (post it on
povray.binaries.scene-files), so that I could have a look at it? You could
also try to put both objects in a union and shoot photons at the union, but
that's just a random guess, nothing based on experience or such.

What might be happening is that POV-Ray shoots photons towards the general
direction of the "above" object, where they get stopped. Or, an idea which
has just popped up: how about raising the max_trace_level for the photons?
Perhaps you really just need to put the target onto the table, but raise the
max_trace_level of photons so that they rebounce/refract off of the
"underneath" object? Just another guess though.

Regards,
Tim
--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"