POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Caustics on a surface under an object : Caustics on a surface under an object Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Caustics on a surface under an object
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 22 May 2004 09:12:35
Message: <40af51bf@news.povray.org>
Hi guys

If I want caustics on a surface BELOW a photon target, must the surface that
the photon target is on also be a photon target?

I have tried many combinations but simply cannot get caustics on a surface
"behind" a photon target, even with very small spacings and lots of photons
- all my photon caustics stay confined to the glass object. I simply cannot
get caustics onto the table "behind" the glass standing on it.

Any idea what exactly is wrong? Concisely:

                        photon emitting light
            |   |       *
            |   |
____________|   |
     ^         ^ glass
Surface

I want caustics not just inside the glass, but also here, on the "table":

caustics

    |    |
    v    |

What should my scene code look like? Must the "table" be a target or not?
Must the glass "collect" photons? If I make it "collect" photons its
completely white, which I do not want.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks...
--