POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : max_trace_level and objects with ior=1 : Re: max_trace_level and objects with ior=1 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: max_trace_level and objects with ior=1
From: Vaclav Cermak
Date: 20 May 2004 05:46:41
Message: <40ac7e81$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Each surface hit and consequent new ray will cause a recursive call.
> You don't need an infinite amount of recursions for the program to run
> out of stack space: Just put some thousands of transparent surfaces in
> a row and trace a ray through them.

This can be solved by separate max_trace_level for surfaces with ior=1
and no reflection. Also, but this is not so trivial change to POV code,
for such a surfaces there is no need to shoot another ray (but another
way how to deal with scene bounding is needed in this case, all
intersections of objects with ray are neccessary here, not only first
one). It can be also a speedup, I think.

>   One solution is to use adc_bailout to limit the recursion depth in
> glass (supposing the glass filters the rays even a bit).

Yes, this is good idea how to solve it without chnaging POV code.