POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heat haze... : Re: Heat haze... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heat haze...
From: Alain
Date: 18 May 2004 19:11:10
Message: <40aa980e$1@news.povray.org>
St. nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/05/18 14:32... :

>Can this be done with Pov? I would imagine that focal_blur could/would
>be used, but how would you produce that undulating, blurred, wavy
>effect behind your scene?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> ~Steve~

I tought of a trick:
Use a serie of invisible refractive boxes with small normal variations
and low iors (1.001 to 1.1) set at a scale that increase with the
distance from the camera. Increase max_trace_level by double the number
of boxes. That way, distent objects will get more distortion than close
ones. It's obvious that it will also increase render time. The boxes
have to be large enough to cover all the visible area and hollow if you
have any media like some fog.

I never tested it.

Alain