POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heat haze... : Re: Heat haze... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heat haze...
From: Rune
Date: 18 May 2004 17:48:51
Message: <40aa84c3$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> Untried, but in some circumstances I guess that a
> smart normal in the camera{} could do the trick.

There probably are cases where it suffices, but in general this solution
is not suitable, since it is not dependent on distance. This creates two
related problems:

- The turbulence is equally strong for close and distant parts of the
scene. (I.e. it does not add up.)
- The turbulence pattern does not follow the perspective - that is, it
doesn't become smaller with distance.

In effect, using a normal in the camera will simulate heat that is
located right where the camera is and not in the rest of the scene.

For a suggestion that IMHO will often create more useful results, see
Ingo's reply.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com **updated Apr 27**