POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision available : Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision available Server Time
30 Jun 2024 20:04:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision available
From: Xiaobin Wu
Date: 18 May 2004 02:35:18
Message: <40a9aea6@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> In article <40a593f3@news.povray.org>, "Xiaobin Wu" <xwu### [at] ciseufledu>
> wrote:
>

> I don't think you quite understood. For example, think of a deformed
> box. It has edges that should not be smoothed out, but which are actual
> geometry, not faked by tweaking the normals.

OK. Here are the two cases:
   1. Smooth geometry, non-smooth normals.   (Bump mapping)
   2. Non-smooth geometry, non-smooth normals. (sharp creases)

Now with another look at warp's post, I am not that sure which case he was
referring to.
It could well be either one.

If only the second case is concerned,  one could automatically determine the
crease edge
from the normal directions (which is simple). But I am ambitious to support
both cases, as well as "semi-sharp" creases. They seem useful to me in
practice.

Xiaobin