POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Portrayal of persons of color in stylized art. : Portrayal of persons of color in stylized art. Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Portrayal of persons of color in stylized art.
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 17 May 2004 22:54:15
Message: <40a97ad7$1@news.povray.org>
1) I've tried experimenting with ethnic diversity with my blob people.  I
found a web page where I could copy pigments from the actual range of
humanity.  I found that an actual skin color of someone from the desert
regions Middle East looked okay for representing a black; the use of actual
pigments from an African seemed ...well ...perhaps somehow disrespectful.
Is it a fear of offending in the same way that elements of a racist culture
revelled in ("Al Jolson" ), my own political correctness, who knows.

2) I note on the Disney Channel TV show, "The Proud Family", several of the
African American characters have a pigment tone lighter than I seem to have
remembered having myself as a child.

3) I was reading some old "Iron Man" comic books.  There was one character,
a female administrative assistant, that looked "completely wrong".   Only
until I saw her paired with the leading African American character did I
imagine they were trying to portray her as black and just tried a really odd
way to do it-- with ZipATone dots on a medium skin tone, whereas her love
interest was portrayed with "brown" ink .

4) "The Incredibles" by Pixar has a black character which appears to be done
well.  Suppose I should study this one.

Any tips on how to do this in raytracing? My guess is that cartoons expect
us to see white skin "ambiented out", whereas in real life black skin
generates interest from elements of the finish. (Really don't know how to
say this.)