POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision available : Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision available Server Time
30 Jun 2024 19:40:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-Ray With Subdivision available
From: Xiaobin Wu
Date: 14 May 2004 20:09:38
Message: <40a55fc2$1@news.povray.org>
"John VanSickle" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> Christoph Hormann wrote:
> >
> > - you seem to discard any normal vectors specified for the mesh - this
> > might often not be what the user wants and more important using the
> > normal vectors could save you quite some computations (i.e. determining
> > the neighbouring triangles).
>
> And determining if the edge between two triangles is sharp or smooth,
> which is very important for subdivision surfaces.

Crease edges are important. I am considering to use the Pixar's semi-crease
rule.
So you can specify an integer on an edge which indicates "how" smooth
it is. 0 means smooth, infinity means sharp and integers in between will
create semi-sharp ridges. The syntax will look like

  crease_edge_list {
    v1 v2 crs_value
  }

Reference: Subdivision surfaces in character animation, by Tony DeRose, etc.

I found this practically essential and relatively easy to use. Also this way
the
manual normals can be saved for bump mapping purposes. (i.e. smooth
geometry with artrificial normals on it)

> Mesh2 allows you to explicitly specify that two triangles share their
> corner vertices (instead of having different vertices that happen to be
> identical).
Exactly.

Xiaobin