POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: POV's splines : Re: POV's splines Server Time
28 Sep 2024 16:54:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV's splines
From: Florian Brucker
Date: 14 May 2004 07:41:36
Message: <40a4b070$1@news.povray.org>
> The two applications are extremely different.
OK. But it would be possible to at least

1) make them use the same syntax
2) make them behave the same way

wouldn't it?

I'm talking about the end-user point of view here (not developper's
one). I think it would be nice if you could, for example, use spline
identifiers in lathes & prisms.

Perhaps it would be even possible to merge the two applications
internally, and combine them in some class, which offers both
calculations (intersection search and value search) while offering the
possibility to use the class everywhere one needs a spline. I mean,
those algorithms are already available in the source, so it is perhaps
worth giving it a try (Although I admit that I don't know enough of POV
internals to do it myself, so this is of course just a suggestion ^^).
In that case, adding new spline types would be easier, too, because you
would have to add them in one place, and not in two places with
different data structures.

Florian