POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Clouds Don't Cast Shadow : Re: Clouds Don't Cast Shadow Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds Don't Cast Shadow
From: Sascha Ledinsky
Date: 13 May 2004 15:10:10
Message: <40a3c812$1@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
 > I have never found such a case. Planes will give extremely unrealistic
 > horizon effects, simply because the horizon is an infinitely distant
 > flat line.

In theory a sphere with a radius of about 6000 km, centered at y = -5999 km
should be the best solution - but then you should use a sphere (the earth)
instead of a ground plane too - and media instead of ground fog - and ...

For clouds I still prefer (layered) planes, and with some ground fog the horizon
looks quite good.

But what I really tried to say is that a large sphere centered near the camera
location gives unrealistic clouds...

-sascha