POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Clouds Don't Cast Shadow : Re: Clouds Don't Cast Shadow Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds Don't Cast Shadow
From: "Jérôme M. Berger"
Date: 12 May 2004 13:38:56
Message: <40a26130@news.povray.org>

CFM wrote:
| My POV-ray tutorial told me that if I wanted the sun created by the
| sky_sphere command to emit an apparent shadow through clouds, I'd
have to
| make a really large sky_sphere with the proper texture,and put the
| light_source outside the sky_sphere. How do I do that, since the
tutorial
| never told me? Here's the programming language below I used to
create the
| sky_sphere with the sun and clouds, but the clouds do not cast shadows.

	You can't do it with a sky_sphere, since by definition it is infinite
and therefore behind the clouds. So what you do is use a regular
sphere with a large radius and your cloud texture with the blue parts
replaced by a transparent color. Then all you have to do is put your
light source further out. Something like that (the texture will almpst
certainly require tweaking):

sky_sphere {
~  pigment {
~    gradient y