POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Remastering KNOPPIX to include POV-Ray : Re: Remastering KNOPPIX to include POV-Ray Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Remastering KNOPPIX to include POV-Ray
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 16 Jun 2004 23:14:13
Message: <40D10FCE.60901@hotmail.com>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
>

>> Where would be a proper place to put all the
>> suggested .jar files in such a Knoppix distro ?
>>
>> /usr/local/
>> /usr/share/
>> /usr/java/
>> /home/knoppix/
>>
>> - or some other place ?
>

> Don't know, but i'd always place a startup script into /usr/bin.
>
>> And what about the associated manuals and other
>> included stuff  ?
>

> Supplementary files for a programs usually go into
> /usr/share/program-name/.

Ok.

I have tried to follow your advices and I have also looked at other
applications. It is not easy to find clear patterns.

Most of these POV/Ray related applications seems to have been made
to be contained in a single directory beneath the user's home
directory, e.g.:

/home/knoppix/application-name

But I do not think this is a good place to put it on a Knoppix
distro, because this directory actually exists in a RAM-disk.

Here's how I have tried to arrange things:

/usr/local/bin <-- Startup scripts
/usr/local/lib/application-name/ <-- .jar/.beam/binary/plugin-files
/usr/local/share/application-name/ <-- include/example-files etc.
/usr/local/share/doc/application-name/ <-- manuals/licenses etc.

The applications now starts, but I'm not sure if they find all
their needed files:

I would appreciate it if anyone could comment on this arrangement.

Next thing to do is to try to make entries in the KDE start menu
for all the startup scripts.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com