POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : from quad to triangle ...? : Re: from quad to triangle ...? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: from quad to triangle ...?
From: andrel
Date: 27 May 2004 08:30:58
Message: <40B5DF8A.7000806@hotmail.com>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> In article <40B### [at] hotmailcom>,
>  andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>

>>I would not be surprised if there are also problems
>>if you use interior media in self intersecting objects.
>

> There are no problems with this. Since media uses intersections to
> decide which volume a ray is in, the only requirement is a "well
> behaved" object with no holes or stray internal surfaces.

Am I correct that the 3D equivalent of the even/odd rule is used.
If I have a self intersecting object and I enter the object
again somewhere on the inside, I am supposed to be outside
again? Can I also create hollow objects by simply adding two
meshes? No need to invert the orientation of the inner surface?
That would be much faster then using differences, I guess.

I know I can simply try this myself, only with meshes you always
have a lot of boundary cases with rays exactly hitting a vertex
or a face 'horizontally', and in this case you could hit
two vertices and/or faces at the same time. So I guess asking
you is a more authoritative answer then any testing I can do myself.